Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bringing in the hay (while the men sit down and drink tea)

I have for so long wanted to take a photo like this one... and finally I did!

And do the men sit down all day drinking tea? It certainly seems to be like that...



Of course, I don't really think that men sit around drinking tea all day, just most of it and they might move from one tea house to another, but the point is, that in many parts of Turkey, it really does seem that the women are left to do an awful lot of the manual work.

I know that Turkey is, in many ways, a modern country, with an ever increasing middle class, high level of female participation in higher education and all that, and it is not my place to criticise what goes on in Turkey. Having said that, I think it is fair to share an observation, which is also remarked upon by many of the people (mainly men) who we met on our travels through this great country.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true indeed. There even was a movie about this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494816/

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=salvar davasi

24 August, 2009 05:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page