Friday, June 29, 2007

Watching Wimbledon again

Back home in Amsterdam, back to the rain and back on flickr and my blog. Feels good.

I flew back with British Airways, frankly a bit disappointed with the quality of the service, although the bed, food and wine were all good. A pity that I have to use the company travel agent to book all my flights as they were unable to get me onto a direct flight home, with KLM, despite KLM advertising available seats on their website the day they booked my ticket. Still, it was nice to travel back with some colleagues from the UK, although we doubled the quota of maximum three senior employees in one plane at a time.

Also, I had a stop at Gatwick Airport, with time to kill which I spent mainly in HMV buying cheaply priced CDs and DVDs. Nice poppy CDs by artists such as Rihanna, The Pussycat Dolls, Dame Shirley Bassey, Dead or Alive, The Scissor Sisters, The Sugababes, Shakira and Take That. A nice reward for all the hard work of the week before.

Still, I had a nasty surprise at home when looking at my credit card statement where the costs of the missed flight in Birmingham were debited. A good thing that I'll soon be having money coming in.

Fred is snowed under with tests to mark, end of year tests, so very important, although he does not have any examination classes this year. Nevertheless he had time to prepare a delicious smoked chicken and grape salad for dinner.

I spent the weekend having my hair cut by my favourite Turkish barber (while I struggled to keep awake), followed by Wimbledon where I watched the excellent match between Janko Tipsarevic and Fernando Gonzalez, won by Tipsarevic after being 2-5 down in the final set and after saving a match point against. Excellent. Tennis really is such a good spectator sport where fortunes can turn one just a few crucial points and bounce back and for the between the two players very quickly. And wonderful that the Grand Slam tournaments are still being broadcast by the BBC. The most one saw on the TV in the US were a few scores beingvreported in the text stream at teh bottom of the screen while they broadcast rounders or basketball or whatever it is they are more interested in.

Locations of visitors to this page