Friday, July 08, 2005

Edna Ismail, Foreign Minister of Somaliland


Fascinating!

We first see Edna Alda Ismail's name on the front of the hospital named after her in Hargeisa, capital of Somaliland in the BBC programme - Holidays in the Danger Zone - Countries which don't exist. We then see her walking into a ward just while a new Somalilander is born. We then find out that she is also the Foreign Minister of Somaliland and get shown a meeting of the Cabinet.

We next hear that she is to appear on the Johannesberg edition of Question Time, timed to coincide with the G8 summit in Gleneagles. This was on last night, so it was also timed to discuss the terrible bombings in London, earlier ion the day. So, we watch with interest. I am amused by the way, Edna pauses to reflect on how the question posed affects 'her own' country of Somaliland. David Dimblebey has to tll her to keep the subject.. they were supposed to be discussing Mugabe, not Somaliland!!! Anyway, she did very well and I was extremely proud of her, a sensible and measured, but altogether positive contribution.

Anyway, I phone my Dad earlier this evening and we talk bout the trip and then about Question Time last night. Unfortunately, he missed it, but he did tell me he had seen the Countries Which Don't Exist programme and tells me he has written a letter to Edna. It turns out that she came back to Hargeisa from completing her nursing studies in London during the time he and my Mum were living there (1960-63) and that they had invited them round for dinner. So, he wrote to tell her that Fred and I are planning to visit Hargeisa in mid-September and would she be able to spare a few minutes to meet us. What a treat that would be.

I mention this to Mum and she says that she could remember the two nurses, couldn't rememb the dinner but did remember that one or two of them were there at the birth of either myself and/or my sister Diana! Amazing!!!!!

I am very excited.
Still not sure we will actually go to Somaliland, because if we hear that it is very dangerous or has become unstable, we will not go there. As mentioned elsewhere, we do not have a fixed idea of where we want to go and will only do sensible things.

Anyway, here is a picture of me as a young Somalilander... (at the top!)

Labels:

Locations of visitors to this page