Friday, April 09, 2010

Harar blue


Harar blue, originally uploaded by CharlesFred.

I found that some organisation had used the original of this photo to illustrate their website header. I thought the crop was quite excellent so have reproduced it here. This is from our trip to Ethiopia, back in September 2005. Harar was fascinating, the main Muslim city in Ethiopia, in the east towards Somalia.
I had been to Harar as a baby, back in 1962 and had heard lots of stories about the city, not the least about the hyena man of Harar.
It was also the destination of a trip made by the English adventurer Sir Richard Burton in the 19th century, whose name turned up in a discussion I had bene having on flickr, with my dear friend 'koolgeek', so another good excuse to load this photo up. Sir Richard Burton is also very well known as being the first non-Muslim to enter the holy places of Mecca and Medina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page