Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Regrets about Iraq


Shoeshine boy in Damascus, originally uploaded by CharlesFred.

This young chap is an Iraqi, probably a refugee from that country, fleeing the war that was started by the US and the UK and in which The Netherlands were implicated and which they supported.

After some bad experiences with shoe shiners in Kenya (1991) and Mexico (1998) I am a bit wary of them but I thought I would give this chap a chance. He humbly asked for 55 Syrian pounds, or just less than a Euro and I let him polish my shoes.

All the time I was thinking I would like to give him a thousand pounds, to give him a lucky day, but I had a whole load of notes in my pockets and I didn't want to show them on the stree. Plus I was a little embarrassed to do so and would wonder what Fred would think, so I took the easy option of giving him his 60 pounds and spent the rest of the day regretting it...

In the meantime, I wonder how much time Bush, Blair and Balkenende have spent regretting going to war against and destroying the wonderful country of Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page